Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Fri Apr 26 11:48:20 UTC 2019

On Friday, 26 April 2019 at 09:42:59 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 April 2019 at 20:01:29 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo
> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 25 April 2019 at 11:27:53 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>> As regards maintenance, with D I used to lose a lot of time
>>> fixing my code from one compiler version to the next (what a
>>> waste of time)
>>
>> If you think it was a waste of time, you could just have
>> continued without updating. All releases are still there.
>> http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/
>>
>> Bastiaan.
>
> Now tell me, how am I to profit from bug fixes and other
> improvements?

If there is profit, it isn't a complete waste. My point is: the
decision whether the cost of adapting to deprecations is worth
the benefit of upgrading is yours. If you think it was a net
waste, you made the wrong decision.

We are porting half a million lines of code from a language that
we are abandoning. Was it a waste to use that language? Not at
all, we made quite a profit. Are we expecting the port to be
profitable? Of course we do. Will we be welcoming future
deprecations? Yes, because the long term benefits outweigh the
short term annoyances. We want to port to a living language, and
deprecations are part of life!

Bastiaan.