sudo apt-get install dmd

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Sat Aug 10 09:32:02 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 10 August 2019 at 08:32:05 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-08-09 at 16:58 +0000, BoQsc via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
>>
> […]
>> I'd prefer having D language compiler included into next
>> releases
>> of Linux distributions.
>> I'm worried that https://d-apt.sourceforge.io/ repository's
>> package nor D language compiler's license is compatible to be
>> included and even preinstalled in Distributions such as Ubuntu.
>
> Clearly it would be better if dmd, dcd, dfmt, dfix, dscanner,
> dub etc. were all in the standard Debian repository along with
> ldc, gdc, gtkd, gstreamerd, tilix, etc.
>
> Now that DMD licence has changed, it is almost certainly
> eligible to be in the Debian repository. Then D-Apt could
> retire.
>
> It is all down to someone volunteering to do the work. The
> people on the Debian D Language Group
> <team+d-team at tracker.debian.org> will have to do the final
> upload, but that doesn't stop others preparing the ground for
> them.
>
> Without volunteers doing stuff, nothing in Debian changes.
>
> […]
>> ldc compiler is a way different bundle, it does not contain
>> RDMD nor DUB?
>
> True, but it is already in the Debian repository suitable for
> installation.

With a recent addition to Dub you can just call "dub -run
dscanner" and it will be retrieved/compiled/started.
Of course adding a command "dub install" which makes the
applications available in PATH would be the deluxe solution.

What I want to say, I see no benefit to add dub packages like
dscanner, dfmt, ... to OS package repositories if they can be
easily installed with dub.

Kind regards
Andre