There's a problem in the D economic system

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Jul 24 08:47:26 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 24 July 2019 at 03:44:20 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
[..]

> Unfortunately, I can't estimate when the bounty system will be
> ready because it depends on the company. However, if anyone is
> willing to apply a bounty to an issue right now, then they can
> let me know and I can launch it sooner. I just need a specific
> Bugzilla issue and a dollar amount to get it started.

Apart from the legal issues that were mentioned above and make
sense, of course, why wasn't a proper bounty system implemented
years ago? Are you telling people that the years since the
founding of the D Foundation have been wasted in this respect?
And now you say that you "cannot estimate when the bounty system
will be ready because it depends on the company" only to inform
people in the next sentence that you could launch it sooner,
because all that is needed is an issue and a dollar amount. Was
the community informed about this? If not why wasn't the
community informed earlier?

The thing is that Basil is right when he says that there is
something wrong with the system. You can go on about it being a
voluntary effort all you want, but the fact of the matter is that
if the Foundation had done its job properly, this would never
have happened. Basil could have just picked a bounty. So don't
deflect from the real issue the OP raised by talking about his
approach / expectations etc. Your answer shows that the D
Foundation does have a problem here. And then this gem:

"I just went through my email history to confirm it. Sebastian
contacted BountySource last year and they refunded all of the
bounties that were in the system at that time to the respective
donors. I would have expected the listed issues to have been
deleted as well.

However, the account is still open and a couple of bounties have
been posted since then, so it obviously still works."

Oh, man. Does anybody in the Foundation know what everybody else
is doing? Is the D Foundation just a bureaucratic facade and in
reality it's the amateurish "chaos as usual"?

It'd be a pity if you lost Basil as a contributor, but this
situation could have been avoided by better planning. If I were
you, I'd try to make him change his mind, but instead you chose
to be all official about it and give him a lecture about the law
and voluntary efforts. This flies in the face of your usual
mantra of D being a community effort and a "meritocracy". Your
handling of this issue doesn't exactly encourage people to
contribute, because they see what they get at the end of the day,
a kick up the a**e. You know, a bit of common sense can get you a
long way.