The DIP Process

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 00:16:32 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 2 March 2019 at 22:42:55 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/2/2019 1:50 AM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> Out of all the things I said...you chose to respond to this?
>
> I've been on forums for several decades. I've done the
> point-by-point responses endlessly. They never result in
> understanding nor resolution. They just spawn another
> point-by-point riposte, which demands another point-by-point
> response, which goes on and on until someone gives up from
> sheer exhaustion. Few forum readers ever seem to read these
> chains, either.
>
> Instead, I choose to respond to what seems like the overarching
> point of the message. It seems to work better.

> > you don't realize what you're actually doing
>
> Please maintain professional demeanor.

Oh sorry, how would I say that statement in a more professional
demeanor? I genuinely wasn't sure whether or not you were are of
this pattern. I admit one of my weaknesses is not always knowing
how to say something in the most tactful way. I find people are
more sensitive than myself so I have a hard time knowing when
I've said something insensitive, or how to say it in a way that's
more tactful. How could I have said that in a professional manner?