DConf Videos, Why?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Thu May 30 18:54:13 UTC 2019

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:27:52 PM MDT H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:18:11PM -0600, Jonathan M Davis via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>
> > I can appreciate people wanting the videos sooner, but it sounds like
> > we're doing quite well with them this year.
>
> [...]
>
> It would be very, very nice if next DConf we hired a dedicated A/V team
> to ensure that the first-day hiccups never happen again. It's becoming
> something of a trend to lose the first day talks or otherwise not have
> them available / clipped / glitched / whatever, and that's not a good
> thing.

AFAIK, last year is the only year that we've ever lost talks. The first few
talks were lost last year, because we only had one camera, and it ran into
problems, because the A/V team assumed that the wifi was going to work well
enough to rely on recording to the cloud, and the wifi was terrible. This
year, there were two cameras - one run by the folks from the location (which
had problems with streaming, because it was set up for WebEx), and another
one from someone else that AFAIK the D Foundation or Symmetry paid
specifically to film the conference and do the videos. So, it sounds like we
basically already did what you're suggesting.

- Jonathan M Davis