Whats holding ~100% D GUI back?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 15:41:48 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 21 November 2019 at 12:53:42 UTC, aberba wrote:
> Now there's rarely the need to get it to work with platform
> widget across all platform. They get more different by the day.

That really depends on what a customer asks for... So you might
not need platform widgets (because non-tech people care about the
experience, not the tech), but they might requires similar look
and behaviour.

GUI toolkits that emulate platform look and feel tend to be more
popular.

> I think it's better to have only some common custom drawn
> widges (like how Material UI works) and make it flexible to
> build third party custom widgets and styling.

I view Material as a platform GUI-design. They make it available
on many platforms... Just like GTK was a platform GUI-design,
then made it available on many platforms.  That makes GTK
unappealing for many devs. And let's be honest, GTK applications
look outdated today.

Google will at some point drop Material, and then all apps that
use it will look out-of-style... and you'll need a major rewrite.
  I'll give Material 3-5 years.

> Community/users will take care of the rest...including third
> party components/widget for both Mobile and desktop

Sadly, individuals tend to «creatively» break basic UI guidelines
when given the opportunity based on their very personal
preferences. To get something consistent you need a disciplined
team that follow strict and comprehensive guidelines.

Which is why good GUI toolkits are rare... very rare.