Whats holding ~100% D GUI back?

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Wed Nov 27 16:34:33 UTC 2019

On 28/11/2019 5:06 AM, Gregor Mückl wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 at 12:15:57 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
>> - UI automation (if you don't have this you can literally be sued and
>> that ignores the customers you will loose and bad press in general)
>
> Let's not resort to hyperbole here, please. I only know of lawsuits
> against websites lacking accessibility features. Has any such lawsuit
> ever been filed for a desktop application? The real risk of a lawsuit is
> low.

It covers mobile applications as well. Different API, same scope, same
code pretty much.

> Having said that, there's applications that definitely should be
> accessible. There's others where a certain kind of accessibility support
> is just not possible. Screen readers and Photoshop obviously make little
> sense in combination, for example. And accessibility is different from
> automation. There's different APIs for that on different platforms.
>
> So, in general, I'm still not seeing a proper justification for not
> building on top of the work that already exists in dlangUI.

UI automation API's is how accessibility programs like screen readers work.

"Microsoft UI Automation is an accessibility framework that enables
Windows applications to provide and consume programmatic information
about user interfaces (UIs). It provides programmatic access to most UI
elements on the desktop. It enables assistive technology products, such
as screen readers, to provide information about the UI to end users and
to manipulate the UI by means other than standard input. UI Automation
also allows automated test scripts to interact with the UI." -
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winauto/entry-uiauto-win32