Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Oct 3 18:09:06 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 17:50:09 UTC, mipri wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 October 2019 at 16:57:13 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Suppose a neighbor deliberately poisons your dog. How should you
> respond? By poisoning the neighbor's dog? What if you're morally
> opposed to poisoning animals in general? What if the neighbor
> doesn't
> have a dog?
>
> Offenses can't always be replied to in kind. You shouldn't be
> so alert
> for specific forms of offense that seeing them blinds you to
> earlier
> interactions.
>
> For example, even if I wanted to hold a grudge over this rude
> post of
> yours, such that I'd wait for an opportunity to jump in *after*
> you've stopped arguing with someone to say "woah! Let's all
> settle
> down!", followed by mischaracterizations of your behavior in the
> argument, I just wouldn't remember to do it. And I'm morally
> opposed
> to posts such as yours, or to holding petty grudges.
>
>> [...]
>
> This is the timeline:
>
> Chris expresses a view that D has an atrocious ecosystem, that
> you
> can't just download and use D code like you can in Python and
> Java,
> etc.
>
> I then complain mildly and indirectly about the hyperbolic
> language,
> but mainly: I ask for details on what's so bad about the
> ecosystem,
> and write a lot about potential badnesses that Chris could've
> meant.
> You probably don't think this is "asking for sugarcoating" yet,
> right?
>
> Chris then sneers that I am saying that D is "the best language
> in the
> world" and that I am attacking him as a heretic, which is extra
> special annoying as this is blatantly a prepared reply to
> "someone
> complaining about his D bashing" rather than a reply to what I
> actually complained about. Interpersonally, this is interrupting
> someone and smugly rebutting what you think they're trying to
> say--while being wrong about what they mean to say, while
> characterizing them as a stupid fanboy. Nothing ad hominen
> here, I
> guess?
>
> There's then some back and forth about my sarcasm, because Chris
> offered nothing else to talk about, and I took the bait as I am
> doing
> now.
>
>> [...]
>
> Just post about other stuff. Bump other threads. Talk about Nim
> in the
> Nim thread instead of about arguments that you didn't pay a lot
> of
> [...]

You do realize that it was you who hijacked this thread about Nim
and tried to turn it into a flamewar with ad hominems galore. As
for the details, well, anyone who has been on this forum for a
while (as most posters here have) knows the details, and
honestly, I won't repeat them every time a random poster says "If
you don't provide details, I won't take you seriously." Everybody
remembers the discussions and issues regarding: ecosystem /
tooling, autodecode, GC, ARM support and loads of other stuff
that pops up regularly. If you want the details put the
aforementioned terms in the forum search engine. Also, if you
find Ola's reply "offensive", seriously, I don't know what to
say. Again, I wish you good luck.