Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Oct 4 12:33:25 UTC 2019

On Friday, 4 October 2019 at 11:54:33 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> That's true. I believe the "culture" of using libraries for
> such things come from around ten years ago when browsers had
> very different feature sets.

That's definitely one of the reasons. I remember those days. But
even MS finally gave in (IE just faded out, devs and users didn't
care anymore), nowadays you can use JS and CSS and be confident
that it will work (with a few minor exceptions like getting the
selected <option> of a <select> element).

Another reason is that young people are used to frameworks and
packages and often wonder why I didn't just download some fancy
packages. But I wonder why I would do that if I can do it with
@keyframes and JS and 10 lines of code.

Sure, web companies like Google and Facebook offer out of the box
solutions, because they want devs to create apps and websites as
fast as possible, and companies / startups are under pressure to
impress clients and investors. Often it's disposable stuff like
an app for the Soccer World Cup and the like. So there is demand
and I'm not against it, but one has to decide whether or not it's
good for your own project(s). Only because it's available and
used all over the world doesn't mean it's the right thing for
your project(s). It's like fast food. Sometimes it's a good
solution, and it's good that we have it, but should you depend on
it?