Re: Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Wed Oct 16 00:07:53 UTC 2019

Everything looks good in the article.
As others have said pay as you go D would be nice.

Something I am concerned about is no mention of a big push to get dmd
into a good state for library usage. That is really missing if we want a
first class IDE experience IMO.

That is not what I personally care about to the point of working on it
actively. What I care about is Phobos v2 as H.S. Teoh mentioned.

If we were to do it today, very little would have changed in terms of
language integration. We would still have isInputRange and friends which
is quite frankly a code smell. Yes its great that we can do it 100% with
the tools we have, but it is absolutely horrible for integration into
the compiler (e.g. errors) and easily being understood for newbies in
that part of a given library.

I don't want anyone else to go through what I did in 2012-2013'ish to
learn ranges. We can do better. We are missing a concept here in the
language (see Rust and Swift as evidence that there is is a trend to
have something for this).

My solution was to replace e.g. isInputRange with signatures from ML,
sadly DIP 1020 was a major stepping stone on this path. So I'm now in a
state of figuring out the entire thing from scratch.

Thoughts?