Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 11:02:18 UTC 2019

https://github.com/symmetryinvestments/autowrap

> Regarding interop with C++, what are your thoughts on tools
> like Calypso? It supports most C++ features, including advanced
> stuff like template instantiation, and it seems to be under
> active development: https://github.com/Syniurge/Calypso

My thoughts are the same as the ones I described in my DConf 2019
talk, namely that convincing a team wary of changing over to D
that they should use a forked version of a compiler that's not
even the reference one would go down like a lead balloon.

If you're in charge, can mandate using Calypso and it works for
you, great! But in that case you're likely to be less averse to
change than the average programmer and we "have you" already. We
want to convince "regular folk".

> I understand the main motivation behind the interpreter is fast
> iteration times. Is the idea to have an interpreter that can
> run entire applications?

Yes.