Feedback on Átila's Vision for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 13:06:34 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 16 October 2019 at 12:23:47 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> - "D also needs a clean up" < implying it's too dirty to save,
> which is just funny as ProtoObject and copy-ctor makes is
> cleaner, the clean-up is actually in progress,

Well, for a new comer that is experienced in other languages
seemingly arbitrary rough edges sends a very negative signal.
Especially if it looks as unplanned as the low level
"introspection" API. People tend to pick up languages in their
spare time and they want to write beautiful code. You generally
don't want people that read documentation to think "How on earth
did they land on this api?" or "Wow, this looks really complex. I
don't have time for this."

Anyway, Go has some aspects of this too, despite its
"minimalism". Python is also going downhill, it has in version
3.8 started to introduce careless design flaws.

Is it possible to clean up a language, well, yes if people who
implement it doesn't have veto power. If people have spent months
on implementing something then they have big issues when someone
wants to erase it. Understandably.

Which is why languages very seldom become prettier, they tend to
become heavier and heavier and suffer more and more from
featuritis. There are frankly few examples of the opposite.

Dart 2.0 might be one counter example perhaps, although that
assumes that you find dynamic languages with no static typing
unpleasant. So it might be possible... but you know. Not typical.