Nim programming language finally hit 1.0

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Sep 27 14:48:39 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-09-27 at 14:24 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]
> I feel this is an area where current languages will start to look
> dated as new languages appear that are designed alongside the
> tooling for the language.
>
> Plain text is a rather crude representation.

Around 1986 people were shifting from using text editors to structure oriented
editors of one form or another, where the stored representation of the code
was some form of tree. Sadly the take up of these editors was drowned out by
the clamour from programmers "you cannot take our text file representation of
our code from us". So now we have IDE that spend vast amounts of CPU power
dynamically recreating tree representations of the text files so as to provide
all the programming language specific support.

I think I am going to chalk this one up to karma.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200