My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Dec 5 20:04:05 UTC 2020

On 12/5/20 11:31 AM, Andre Pany wrote:
> On Saturday, 5 December 2020 at 10:02:40 UTC, Robert M. Münch wrote:
>> On 3 Dec 2020 at 12:14:57 CET, "Andre Pany" <andre at s-e-a-p.de> wrote:
>>
>>> For me it is every line coding I write, whether it feels good or
>>> painful. I do not know any other language which makes me as
>>> productive and happy as D.
>>
>> From our experience if you want to get things done in a team, on a
>> product that lasts for years and needs to be maintained, where you
>> want to reduce any tricks, complicated language constructs, etc.
>> Golang really adds a lot to the game.
>>
>> As I wrote somewhere else, Golang's focus is not a technical
>> featureism driven, they have a commercial, company perspective. It's
>> not about does it feel good for me or so. It's just highly productive
>> and straightforward...
>>
>> I think this is the USP of Golang and it looks not many (if at all)
>> other languages and eco-systems have such a clear focus on these topics.
>
>  From my daily experience I can confirm that for exactly the scenario
> you describe D is working extremely well.
> Maintaining a D code base over years in a multi teams project is a
> pleasant job.
>
> The advertising Golang does might be a lot
> Better than D, but it in my experience it is just the advertisement.

I wish I had more fluency with Go to be able to figure its pluses and
minuses. I find it difficult (for the kind of stuff I am inclined to do)
to reckon that you need to implement simple functions such as min and
max several times. But when I do e.g. shell scripting I don't care for
such things. I wonder where Go fits - someplace where sophisticated
abstraction isn't needed yet there's still processing and networking to
be done.