Benchmarking mir.ndslice + lubeck against numpy and Julia

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Jan 13 11:51:20 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 11 January 2020 at 21:54:13 UTC, p.shkadzko wrote:
> Today I decided to write a couple of benchmarks to compare D
> mir with lubeck against Python numpy, then I also added Julia
> snippets. The results appeared to be quite interesting.

Thanks for running these benchmarks.  A few notes/questions that
may be interesting:

(1) Do I understand right that both numpy and lubeck just call
into external linear algebra libraries (BLAS and LAPACK) for the
actual number crunching?  (I believe so.)

(2) Assuming that is true, then compiler flags will probably only
make a difference to the initialization and allocation of the
matrices.  (IIRC, Xorshift's performance is very different when
optimized versus un-optimized.)  That likely explains why D and
Python performance are near-identical once matrix initialization
is taken out of the equation: the actual number-crunching is
being done by the same external libraries.

(3) The much speedier Julia results can probably be explained by
its use of dedicated data structures for various stages of
calculation, see §5.2 of https://arxiv.org/pdf/1411.1607.pdf.

(4) Just as a general remark for your original benchmarks: while
obviously a "just getting started" comparison is perfectly valid,
it's unlikely you're comparing like with like.  Leaving aside the
compiler optimization flags, odds are that e.g. the randomized
initialization of matrix elements is being done very differently
in the 3 different languages (probably a different underlying RNG
in each case, and quite possibly some extra tricks in numpy and
Julia to handle the case of randomly initializing the contents of
an entire matrix or array).

**Principal takeaway**: anyone who wants to match Julia for speed
needs to follow its lead in terms of dedicated data structures
for linear algebra, not just hook into long-running standards
like BLAS and LAPACK.  There are opportunities here for libmir :-)