An example of why I hate the web

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Mar 4 11:26:56 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 09:17:07AM +0000, Borax Man via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I have noted that even though software crashes less now than it used
> to, it often works incorrectly. I use 'big name' software at work, and
> often it just does what it's not supposed to do.  For example, a
> crappy UI for a shared drive would delete the wrong file, then seem to
> restore the wrong file, but then the right file would appear when you
> navigate.

I betcha the bug is in a legacy module that nobody understands or dares
to fix anymore, and instead of fixing the actual problem, the GUI code
implements a hack to detect (unreliably) the problem and paper over it,
either with an anemic attempt to correct the problem after the fact, or
with an outright lie (display the right output in spite of the actual
data being wrong). It's just business as usual in an "enterprise"
project.

After having worked for ~2 decades in the industry, this doesn't
surprise me anymore; I've seen it all. It's the result of the typical
unhealthy software development office environment: high turnover,
unrealistic deadlines, unclear requirements, lack of communication,
absence of documentation, and a rampant attitude of
every-man-for-himself, its-not-my-problem blame avoidance caused by
toxic office politics. The scale of the problem is proportional to the
number of people on the project, and is especially bad in large
corporate environments. This is why I have a high level of distrust in
any software produced by a large company. The larger it is, the worse
the problems will be. Sometimes there are exceptions, but generally
speaking this is the case. I've stopped expecting anything good to come
out of big companies, and now I no longer need to be constantly
disappointed. :-P

Heads I win, tails you lose.