Is it time for D 3.0?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Mar 30 01:02:23 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 07:01:18PM +0000, Mathias Lang via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 March 2020 at 18:24:33 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
[...]
> > If we going to go to D3, then we need a proper project plan so that
> > people know what they are supposed to implement. That means that
> > someone needs to decide what to implement.
[...]
> The problem is not whether or not we need to come up with a list of
> things to implement. The problem is, who will implement it ? And the
> answer has always been, those who care, those who will use it, or
> Walter.
[...]

Yes, herein lies the rub.  There is no shortage of good ideas and
opinions in this forum, but when it comes time to actually write the
code and make it work, the enthusiasm seems to evaporate and the
manpower is nowhere to be found.  Grand plans have been drawn up in the
past, and countless lists of tasks that need to be done.  None of that
has made much of a difference.  The difference has mostly been made by a
number of silent contributors who don't speak up much, but do most of
the real work behind the scenes and make things tick.

This is the curse of the volunteer project: nobody gets paid so when
they're told what to do rather than making their own choice about what
to do, they just walk away.  We can invent grand plans all we like, but
until there's somebody passionate enough to actually put in the hard
work to implement said grand plan, nothing will actually happen.

Instead, what tends to get done is the itch that somebody wants to
scratch, that doesn't always match what others want.

Those who don't understand D are condemned to reinvent it, poorly. -- Daniel N