Is it time for D 3.0?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 01:14:06 UTC 2020

On 3/29/20 9:02 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 07:01:18PM +0000, Mathias Lang via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Sunday, 29 March 2020 at 18:24:33 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> [...]
>>> If we going to go to D3, then we need a proper project plan so that
>>> people know what they are supposed to implement. That means that
>>> someone needs to decide what to implement.
> [...]
>> The problem is not whether or not we need to come up with a list of
>> things to implement. The problem is, who will implement it ? And the
>> answer has always been, those who care, those who will use it, or
>> Walter.
> [...]
>
> Yes, herein lies the rub.  There is no shortage of good ideas and
> opinions in this forum, but when it comes time to actually write the
> code and make it work, the enthusiasm seems to evaporate and the
> manpower is nowhere to be found.  Grand plans have been drawn up in the
> past, and countless lists of tasks that need to be done.  None of that
> has made much of a difference.  The difference has mostly been made by a
> number of silent contributors who don't speak up much, but do most of
> the real work behind the scenes and make things tick.
>
> This is the curse of the volunteer project: nobody gets paid so when
> they're told what to do rather than making their own choice about what
> to do, they just walk away.  We can invent grand plans all we like, but
> until there's somebody passionate enough to actually put in the hard
> work to implement said grand plan, nothing will actually happen.
>
> Instead, what tends to get done is the itch that somebody wants to
> scratch, that doesn't always match what others want.

Good points, but I think that we are currently suffering from a
different problem -- people want to, and do, implement these things,
only to be told no, sorry we want it but we can't use it, because it
breaks things. I listed several things that have been implemented but
were rejected (or merged and reverted). Some of them even by the creator
and BDFL of the language. Some other things are just wholesale changes
to the library that implementing them is just not going to happen
without some significant buy-in from the community and leaders.

On top of that, people who may want to implement things are gun shy
after seeing language changes get shot down left and right.

Yes, we also still need leadership to approve and agree that X should be
implemented. But right now, even they say X should be implemented, but
we just can't without breaking "everything".

What we need is a place for that answer to be yes instead. If not D3.0,
I don't know what is the correct path for such things.

-Steve