D mentioned on Rust discussions site

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Wed May 20 20:10:27 UTC 2020

On 20.05.20 16:14, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 10:07 +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:38:48 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>>> https://users.rust-lang.org/t/dlang-adds-a-borrowchecker-called-the-ob-system-for-ownership-borrowing/42872
>>    [gheli]
>> "It is inspired by Rust's borrow checker, but it fails in
>> comparison to it. It provides very little guarantees and does not
>> prioritize safety. It is being adding (IMO) simply as a PR stunt
>> as the current implementation stands." > One of the Rust illuminati complained about this comment, asking
people to
> respect others' work. The point was well made and seems to have attracted a
> lot of support.

It is a bit weird that anyone would sign up for the Rust forums for the
sole purpose of making a non-PC comment about D. :)

The reaction to the above comment was predictable but I don't think it
was necessary. ZiCog's subsequent comment was just as dismissive but it
was phrased using nice words so he did not get a wrist slap. Basically
it's just a translation of the comment to PC speak. "I prefer to think
of it this way."

Personally I prefer the atmosphere of the D forums -- generally
respectful and professional, but being respectful is not subordinate to
being able to make technical points, passionate debate is allowed and
you don't have to spend time deciphering criticism that is disguised as
a compliment or wondering whether your point has been taken.