D mentioned on Rust discussions site

Tony tonytdominguez at aol.com
Sat May 23 15:18:51 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 14:33:02 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 02:59:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 5/22/2020 8:27 AM, Chris wrote:>> Second, Walter, I've
>> noticed that the word "unprofessional"
>>> [...]
>>
>> Belittling other members and/or impugning their motives, is
>> unprofessional behavior. It's not hard to understand.
>
> It'd help if the moderator also explained why a post was
> deleted (instead of using a blanket term like "unprofessional"
> which is in itself unprofessional), else it looks quite random.
> I think Joakim left over what he perceived as double standards
> in forum moderation. (Was it really worth to lose a contributor
> like Joakim over this?) In the old days there was practically
> no moderation and D wasn't the worse for it. I wonder what
> changed that made the leadership adopt a stricter stance on
> moderation. It doesn't reflect well on the D Foundation when
> comments by certain people (like myself) are scrutinized and
> deleted while some outright rude comments, attacks and even
> false accusations are not.
>
> May I remind you that it was the leadership that started to
> treat users in a rude manner. You, Walter, answered evasively
> and went on to twist my words so I looked like an unreasonable
> fool. (One user noticed this and pointed it out to you.) This
> gave me the impression that you were looking down your nose at
> us. It hasn't escaped my attention either how Manu has been
> treated here (DIPs). Maybe you should ponder on this a little.
>
> Last but not least, I think there's a growing feeling in the
> community that D should be rewritten as D3. Steven Schveighofer
> wrote a post about it. I don't understand why on earth D is not
> rewritten in a clean and sound manner. Take what really works,
> the great features that D undoubtedly has, get rid of
> half-baked features and all the baggage like audodecoding etc.
> Implement a proper ecosystem right from the start (this is of
> utmost importance). Why not make D great again?
>
> Deleting criticism is certainly not the right approach and will
> come back to bite you. Sometimes it's easier to just do the
> dishes than to come up with ever new excuses why you can't do
> the dishes. Why not write a new clean version of D?

Joakim kept arguing in an increasingly petulant manner that the D
conference should be canceled. He appeared to think that he had
proven that it should be canceled and would not consider any
notion that if enough people want to go to it, it should be held.
I would guess he left because he couldn’t get his way.

I can see why you are very concerned about forum moderation as
you don’t appear to use D and seem to visit the forum to solely
to get perverse pleasure from degrading the language and those
who work on it.