Could D be used by Jonathan Blow rather jai language?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:31:30 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 14:32:36 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:
> I certainly think a cut-down version of D could compete with
> Jai. That is the motivation for my Laser-D project.

Zig is kinda a cut down version too though, where the design goal
is to not have language features that are non-transparent. Sadly,
that also results in no overloading of functions by parameter
types (IIRC).

What stands most out with D is that it is trying to be
jack-of-all-trades, which often means that you end up being
master-of-none. My impression is that Jai tries to turn that
around and be master-of-one-but-not-for-everyone. So, clearly it
will be very opinionated...

I suspect that Jai will fit one way of modelling better than
others. Quite frankly, I would not really want to use a low level
language without solid RAII.

What I dislike about some of these new languages, Go, Zig, Jai
etc is that they seem to insist on going backwards on some
design-parameters based on "ideological opinion" rather than
sensible modelling concerns. So that makes me think: "ok, why are
we going back to the 1980s here?".