Could D be used by Jonathan Blow rather jai language?

Max Haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:38:16 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 17:31:30 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 14:32:36 UTC, Dibyendu
> Majumdar wrote:
>> I certainly think a cut-down version of D could compete with
>> Jai. That is the motivation for my Laser-D project.
>
> Zig is kinda a cut down version too though, where the design
> goal is to not have language features that are non-transparent.
> Sadly, that also results in no overloading of functions by
> parameter types (IIRC).
>
> What stands most out with D is that it is trying to be
> jack-of-all-trades, which often means that you end up being
> master-of-none. My impression is that Jai tries to turn that
> around and be master-of-one-but-not-for-everyone. So, clearly
> it will be very opinionated...
>
> I suspect that Jai will fit one way of modelling better than
> others. Quite frankly, I would not really want to use a low
> level language without solid RAII.
>
> What I dislike about some of these new languages, Go, Zig, Jai
> etc is that they seem to insist on going backwards on some
> design-parameters based on "ideological opinion" rather than
> sensible modelling concerns. So that makes me think: "ok, why
> are we going back to the 1980s here?".

The whole jack of all trades thing is really a an assumption,
i.e. D is just better than C++ in more than one area but people
are trained to believe you can't have a multitasking language - C
is fast, Python is short etc - the way we teach programmers is a
complete monoculture in language design.