Plan for D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun May 16 21:24:40 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 20:36:41 UTC, dogman wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 20:33:12 UTC, dogman wrote:
>>>
>>> There are "GC off" switches.
>>>
>>> @nogc, GC.disable and betterC
>>
>> But then we dont know if all standard library and other
>> modules can be used. We dont even have associate arrays etc.
>> What we want is a pluggable framework where people can use the
>> default GC or their GC or manual memory management by
>> registering malloc/free's(like zig). Code is same. I am not
>> sure technically if its possible as I am not an expert in
>> compiler.
>
> Rust says "Rewrite", D will say "Extend" which means extend
> your code and rewrite slowly with a safe and simple language.
> Companies can start writing D and use their existing c/c++
> code. I have been working in c/c++ for last 10-15 years still I
> couldnt follow rust easily. Went through the rust book 2 times.
> I do like some part of it but any big code base looks horribly
> complex. I doubted if its my problem or is language is complex
> and bad to read.

Let me put it this way, a couple of years ago Facebook played
with D, now they have this to tell about Rust.

https://engineering.fb.com/2021/04/29/developer-tools/rust/

A couple of years ago Remedy played with D, now Unity (with C#)
is on

https://developer.android.com/games/develop/build-in-unity

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/learn/games

https://stadia.dev/intl/fr_fr/blog/unity-support-for-stadia:heres-what-you-need-to-know/

https://developer.nintendo.com/tools

https://unity.com/our-company/newsroom/sony-computer-entertainment-and-unity-technologies-form-strategic-partnership

Why? Because they have had plan and stuck to it, regardless of
what others keep saying about their suitability.