Proof of concept for v2 - NO duplication, NO `static if` hell, NO difficulty with interoperability

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 16:35:48 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 12:15:30 UTC, Robert burner
Schadek wrote:
> I would argue that with the PR, linked in this forum thread,
> the set of D developers will be empty before we find out whether
> this can be reverted without problem or not.

I am not sure if the existing developers or older devs will be
hit by it, because they are used to working around things and
have a good model of the language and how it has evolved over
time. They already have patience… (especially those that learned
programming in the 80s and 90s, as they are used to weird things
in the programming environment…)

But making it harder for newbies, is not a good. There is much
less reason to be patient when other options offers you a
smoother ride.

My experience from teaching a bit programming to students tells
me that there is a big difference between those that learn
programming today, and those that learned it 30 years ago. Making
a dev environment tailored to the latter group is not sustainable…