Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Nov 6 19:13:11 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 6 November 2021 at 11:45:18 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Monday, 11 October 2021 at 15:59:10 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> I'm brainstorming about what I'll talk about at DConf, and
>> during a conversation with Walter I thought it might be cool
>> to talk about:
>>
>> * Worst features implemented in a non-toy language
>
> Worst line of reasoning for not having a feature is Go that
> refuses to add exceptions because they don't think people will
> do cleanup correctly, instead you are faced with 150% more
> error-handling code (or code that ignore errors).
>
> Error handling in Rust also looks pretty atrocious, but I
> haven't written anything more than toy programs in Rust.

Go has exceptions, although they don't call them as such
(panic/recover).

Rust error handling is not easy by default, however there are
some helper libraries to make it easier to do rail oriented
programming, and they are in the process of adding vocabulary
types for improved error handling, based on the experience of
those libraries.