Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 12:31:43 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 11:32:15 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> Going back to my original question at the top of the thread, do
> you have an answer to my questions? Is the answer actually well
> known but it has slipped me by? I think you're saying it's
> already polished and done, and features tend to work well. So
> what about the perennial issues, memory management, DLL
> support, Android/iOS support? Shared? They keep coming up, do I
> have to spend a few months digging in to D again to see if my
> experience is now one of 'it just works' on Windows, Linux,
> Mac? Mobile?

I mean, I guess the answer for us is that we just don't need any
of those.

I don't think D is ready to be used by everyone for every
purpose. But I think it's ready to be used by some for some
purposes, and has been for a long time. Even by many for many
purposes. I think the set of "customers that D is ready for" is
badly communicated at the moment, but it is definitely non-empty.
(Evidence one.)

PS: I concur with the GC. I think this is one case where D
majorly falls down, because it advertises as "you don't need to
think about memory management" and if you take that seriously,
you *will* get punished for it as you scale up input. You can't
write D like Java, because D's GC is significantly less
forgiving, but this is not communicated anywhere.

PPS: 'shared' is one of those features that we've just elected to
not touch with a ten foot pole. It does nothing useful for us; I
believe I've had rants on the topic. :) Luckily, it's easy to
pretend it doesn't exist.