The new rule for DIPs by language maintainers was a mistake

ClapTrap clap at trap.com
Tue Oct 19 18:25:21 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 19 October 2021 at 02:22:54 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> Early last year, Mike Parker, the DIP manager, announced [a set
> of new rules][1] for DIPs by language maintainers (i.e., Walter
> and Atila).
>
> Under these new rules, rather that author DIPs directly,
> language maintainers would be required to find a community
> "champion" for each DIP they wished to submit, and allow that
> champion to author the DIP on their behalf. The purpose of this
> rule was to avoid the potential bias introduced by having a
> DIP's author be the one to evaluate it: in general, it is much
> easier to judge someone else's work impartially than one's own.

Did people actually think that getting someone to write and
submit the DIP on behalf of a "language maintainer" would somehow
make the "language maintainer" unbiased when it came to reviewing
it? That seems hopelessly naive if you ask me.

This idea should have been shot down just because it doesn't
solve the problem it is supposed to, never mind if it's caused
other problems.