What kinds of Software do you create in D.

thedeemon dlang at thedeemon.com
Sun Oct 31 20:43:53 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 31 October 2021 at 06:28:37 UTC, Dr Machine Code wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 October 2021 at 18:57:30 UTC, thedeemon wrote:
>> On Saturday, 30 October 2021 at 01:48:25 UTC, harakim wrote:

> really cool stuff written in D. You even used DlangUI. While
> developing did you have any issues like outdated packages, lack
> of tools that are available only for others languages etc

Thanks! No, I didn't have any real problems at that time. I used
very few packages outside the standard library, and the ones I
used weren't outdated yet. However now, a few years later, it
might be hard to build that code and make it work.

> That's pretty nice. What do you think are the advantages of
> using D over others language to develop a interpreter? are
> there anything like "killer feature" that made you use D
> instead of something else?

The biggest killer feature here is D's static introspection. It
allows easily calling to native code libraries from your
interpreter without a complicated FFI layer. You take an existing
D struct, class or just function, mention it to the interpreter
("register" it), and all its necessary members become
automatically accessible from your language, with all the
conversions from interpreter's data types to native data types
happening automatically, all the access & conversion code is
autogenerated using D metaprogramming and static introspection.
Also, having a GC in D means we don't have to make our own GC for
the interpreted language. On the other hand, when we want to
control the low level bits of memory layout etc. we can still do
it.