Send me your list of D gripes and wishes

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 15:54:01 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 25 December 2022 at 15:09:46 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> On Saturday, 24 December 2022 at 13:46:33 UTC, Mike Parker
> wrote:
>> [...]
>

> So, the problem I have is not about what features are getting
> worked on. All the features I wanted would be implemented by
> now if we had a better decision making process. The first
> problem I see are 2: The funneling on Walter, and the insane
> arguing we have. It infinitely bothers me to see how many
> people has quit D. They didn't quit D because "oh now from the
> night to day I think I hate D so I'm quitting". It is not
> because the community itself. There was a lot of cases where we
> had a community agreement on a subject, but the heads (aka
> dictators) felt that it was bad. I understand that they can
> have a great impact on the decision, but what about when the
> agreement turns in a community consensus and the dictator's
> opinion is still prevailed?

I would dare to say that all the different features that being
developed are, in fact, the main problem.

When I got into D, @live was the new hot thing, with borrow
checkers and what not. After a year the language said "screw
this, let's import C instead". So @live never was developed to an
adequate quality, and borrow checker was never completed. I have
a strong feeling that ImportC will be dropped by the time it's "
Good enough" for dmd's internal needs, and we will be left with
another half-baked thing that kinda works, but really doesn't.

Since the time of my rant in another thread I've spent too much
time thinking about DLang. I frequently return to the conclusion
that it's just doomed to sink at this point. D includes too many
different, diametrically different, concepts, that it's
incredibly difficult to even come to an agreement when designing
your code. If you use one feature, you almost automatically cut
out users that use a different feature. BetterC is the worst
offender here, basically locking your framework to itself.
Considering you want to make a universal framework. This is why
phobos is so hindered at this point. You can't add anything to it
because somebody would complain that it has to support betterC.

There definitely has to be a bigger vision about the language. Do
you want a low level language? Do you want a higher level
language? Do you just want C but better?
But, at that point, you can only break the language. There's no
fixing that.