Why is D unpopular

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 10:29:14 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 06:49:59 UTC, bauss wrote:

> People also completely misunderstand what we're asking for.

No. No we do not. We understand *exactly* what you are asking for.

> I really don't understand why people are so much against it
> when it can be added without interfering with existing code,
> but it surely will help.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think it adds *any*
benefit to the language whatsoever. I have read all of the
arguments for it and I don't find any of them compelling enough
that the feature would bring significant advantage over putting
classes with "strictly private" members in their own modules.

But again, I'm just a guy expressing his opinion. Walter and
Atila are the ones you need to convince.

Talking about it endlessly in the forums has zero chance of
getting the feature in. You guys posting about it in every other
thread apparently feel strongly about it, so write a DIP. Get
feedback from others who support it and try to craft a rationale
that Walter and Atila will find compelling enough to accept
(i.e., show that the benefit outweighs the added cost in
maintenance and language complexity, why the arguments against it
are wrong, etc.).

Once you submit it and it's had enough time in Draft Review that
you're satisfied with it, I'll even give it priority over any
other DIPs in the queue.