Why is D unpopular

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Tue Jun 14 10:45:15 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 10:29:14 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think it adds *any*
> benefit to the language whatsoever. I have read all of the
> arguments for it and I don't find any of them compelling enough
> that the feature would bring significant advantage over putting
> classes with "strictly private" members in their own modules.

Just because it doesn't add a benefit to you doesn't mean it
doesn't add a benefit to anyone else.

I don't see a benefit in @nogc, importC etc. for that matter, yet
I still see the value in those and wouldn't/haven't propose for
them to be removed/not implemented.

I don't see the problem in adding things that helps one group of
developers, if that thing doesn't ruin it for anyone else.

I think it's really ignorant to have a stance like that with a
programming language that strives to be general-purpose. The
whole point of a programming language to be general-purpose is
that you might not need all the features or see value in all
features, but you have them at your disposal if needed, because
you want to appeal to as many people as possible.

I can't say I'm shocked, because it's the usual view with D,
barely anyone in the community is willing to compromise.