Exploring the philosophy of objects

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 01:59:07 UTC 2022

On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 01:00:06 UTC, monkyyy wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_ontology
>
> After careful consideration, I believe you've taken oo too far
> if you think it should affect anyone's meta physics.

Actually, I think in reverse.

That is, its metaphysics, that ultimately drives the nature of
software development, and programming languages.

But the ending of Moore's Law is pushing us in the opposite
different at the moment. And understandably. That's why newer
languages are having a much greater focus on performance, perhaps
at the expense of the abstract type??

But as Arnold once said: "I'll be back" (says the autonomous
existing object).

The movie 'The Terminator', is a movie about 'a possible future
where mankind has been oppressed by artificially intelligent
machines, lead by the rebellious computer system Skynet.'

Nonetheless, we continue on that very path towards creating these
very same AI 'objects'.

I'd argue, that more than ever, software engineering focus is
being directed towards the creation of 'autonomous existing
objects'.

Some of you already have them on your phones, in your TV, on your
tablet, on your wrist....in your car......

Why?

Well, as Timothy Morton once said: "We are caught in object-ive
existence whether we like it or not."

i.e. It's natural to think about our reality in terms of
autonomous existing objects, so it's natural this will find it's
way into other areas of our thinking, including programming.

If you don't know who he is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Morton

Once this necessary refocus on extracting greater performance
becomes less relevant in programming (some technological
breakthough perhaps), we'll all be back focusing on creating
automous existing objects again. It's how we think.

Well, not all.