Civility

mee6 mee6 at lookat.me
Sat Jun 25 12:56:37 UTC 2022

On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 19:51:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/23/2022 10:30 PM, forkit wrote:
>> Just wear something under it. It'll make it a little less
>> uncomfortable.
>
> What I mean by wearing a hairshirt is insistence on negging D.
> There are many ways to be honest about D's capabilities without
> describing them in negative terms.
>
> For example:
>
> Hairshirt - D's gc is terrible compared with Java's.
>
> Honesty - Since Java is heavily dependent on the gc, it is
> worth it to insert write gates into the generated code to
> accurately track usage of gc allocated memory. Usage of D's gc
> is optional, and D's semantics are much less reliant on the gc.
> Hence, in the interest of maximum performance for most code, D
> does not insert write gates in the generated code.

I don't think D's semantics are much less reliant on the GC. Have
you tried writing CTFE without the GC?

D has a worse GC than java, that's a fact. You can do manual
memory management in D, even though it isn't really supported by
its own feature set. Using something like C++ and Java together
is the better option as it provides the best of both worlds. Like
what Android did. D went a direction that provides a worse GC
without providing the tools needed for the alternative it claims
to support.