Just an example, why D rocks, and C++ s***s...

mee6 mee6 at lookat.me
Sun Mar 20 14:09:02 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 20 March 2022 at 10:55:49 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 23:07:41 UTC, mee6 wrote:
>>>
>>> Excellent example of the off-topic vandalism of discussions I
>>> wrote about the other day. It *always* happens as soon as
>>> someone attempts to say something good about D.
>>>
>>> Your response has nothing to do with the post. If I were in
>>> charge, I would delete it and ban you from posting here
>>> again. Not sure if this is an organized effort, but troll
>>> posts like this get tiring.
>>
>> It's not off topic, your post is completely off topic
>> ironically though. A comparison was made and I elaborated on
>> that comparison. It seems you don't like it cause I was being
>> critical of D.
>
> You didn't engage *at all* with the topic of the post. You
> dismissed it with one sentence:

Yes I did, the whole paragraph is about the topic. I said the
example given is something that can be a single function you use
as a utility. This can be a single header file in C++. Once you
write the function it can be used again and again. Now C++ isn't
perfect so you have to write the code yourself but it's a
relatively simple function to write. On the other hand D has a
problem with much more difficult problems to write, just like the
std library is a library, there aren't many third party libraries
that are of good quality. Including the STD library itself, as it
too is a library to be criticized. And then I give an example.

All the above information is there just compressed. Sorry I
inferred a few common knowledge things I thought were common
knowledge and I ended up writing it in a more compact form.

>> You can write that helper function put it in a util file and
>> never have to write it again.
>
> Then you went on to talk about something else, in an attempt to
> change the topic completely - something that's the case with
> 100% of these posts. Either engage with the post, start your
> own thread, or post somewhere else. That's the way they do it
> most places on the internet.

They are related or are we not talking about a function or
utility function in a library and we are talking about how one
library doesn't have that utility function. Now just replace
utility function with a class instead. It's basically the same
thing, your just arguing a straw man argument to dismiss the
criticism instead of just addressing the criticism.