Why is D unpopular?

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Sun May 1 20:17:17 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 19:02:41 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> You also have the issue of tracking pitch correctly, which I
> believe is where Autotune cut costs by doing pitch tracking by
> autocorrelation more cheaply. That is a technical improvement,
> not a conceptual one.

There is indeed a 1999 technique by Autotune makers that did
track pitch with a kind of "sliding auto-correlation" (you would
slide spectrally but instead of computing a single DFT
coefficient, you compte a correlation coefficient), I believe
this is maybe the technique that was famously imported from
seismic detection.