The process described in the linked article could be a good thing for D

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Wed May 25 23:02:54 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 10:26:14 UTC, max haughton wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 10:17:38 UTC, forkit wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 09:27:23 UTC, max haughton wrote:
>>> The whole idea behind doing that is to eliminate much of the
>>> need for a team at all, it's just code.
>>
>> Ahh. The holy grail for programmers ;-)
>>
>> In the end though, it will always come back to leadership, and
>> interactions between people; not 'systems on servers'.
>
> I am specifically talking about building things on servers,
> because that is something we can actually do. Almost everything
> you have mentioned so far just isn't doable in the short term.
> Or actually relevant to what is blocking current progress.
>
> I am happy to coordinate and manage programmers but I just
> don't think it's a realistic model for the D community because
> the vast majority are working for free. The dynamic just isn't
> the same as a company.
>
> Similarly I want incremental progress to be measurable, not to
> impose a grand model onto the process. This is going to be a
> matter of working hard and smart, not a battle of management
> philosophy.

Nothing you've talked about will occur, without leadership and
interactions between people. Better systems don't just suddenly
appear out of nowhere.

If you're not focused on this, you may be working 'hard', but not
very 'smart'.

Also, you do not need to 'coordinate and manage' programmers. You
only need to set a clear agenda, with priorites, and measureable
goals; which again, requires leadership and interactions between
people.

You are correct that better systems are needed (as well) - cause
inviting programmers to contribute, by saying ..there's a bunch
of bugs in our bug repository, go pick one... is not very
motivating ;-)

If there's going to be 'a next phase' for D, it's going to come
about because of leadership and interactions between people. That
is the only way it can occur.

So I have to disagree with your assertion, that this is 'not
relevant to what is blocking current progress'.

If it were me, I 'lead' by saying D3 will be @safe by default.
Now, let's get to work on it.