What makes a language popular - and how to manufacture D popularity

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sat May 28 09:35:10 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 28 May 2022 at 09:15:58 UTC, zjh wrote:

> what `D` lacks is `organization`. everyone fight for his own
> `battle`.
>
> We should `organize` the power of the `'community'` and make
> the best use of `D programmers's free time` .
> Even a `'loose'` organization is better than a `'completely
> discrete'` organization.
>
> We can `distribute` tasks to community members according to
> their `abilities and priority`, and then they can obtain
> `material or spiritual rewards`.
> It is not necessary to limit the time to finish. However,
> `implementor` should make a `progressbar` so that others can
> see your progress.
> In addition, D need to `investigate` the community and
> `'to-do'` items, and then distribute `various tasks` to serve
> for the existing `d programmers` first, and then try to make
> them bigger .
> At least keep the existing community.
> `D` community `members` should understand that `d` and `d
> programmers are on the same boat`. Only `d` are getting better
> , can `d programmers` getting better , if `d` gets worse, and
> `d` programmers can not get better.
>  `'D'` must rely on the `community` and `trust` the
> community,And we should give `great freedom` to `D` contributor.
> And `D officials` only need to keep reviewing whether the
> direction of `d` conforms to the principle of `'d'`.
> If there are no `material rewards`, `spiritual rewards` can be
> offered.
> `Organization` is the `key factor` that determines the `success
> or failure` of things.
> This is especially true for the `language and ecology`.
> In addition, Establish a good `'reward'` mechanism and `'dip'`
> improvement mechanism, and how to judge the `'to do'` priority
> mechanism,etc.

Exactly, this THE reason why the D project doesn't gain much
traction. The is no leadership, no vision, no work orders in
order to make people know what to do, no design document
describing to people what to do. In fact much of SW engineering
is documenting the design, at least a comprehensive overview is a
good start.

Right now the D project is like a bunch of headless chickens.
It's a text book case of diffusion of responsibility.

The more you look into to project you realize that there are tons
of things to do because many parts of the D projects is starting
to show its age or essential features are missing. This doesn't
have to be in core language but even more in druntime/Phobos,
which means that the claim the we need super elite
compiler/language engineers isn't really true. The heavy lifting
is more in the standard libraries and infrastructure and
documentation. Simple things like this archaic news group forum
needs to be updated to something modern.