Is D really that bad?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 13:23:53 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 1 November 2022 at 13:08:30 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> I'm not trying to create friction, but I get the sense that not
> everyone complaining wants to contribute to solving the problem
> they are complaining about.

It is a matter of process and leadership. If you really care
about this then the best option is to create a comprehensive
design document where you go through everything that has to be
"fixed" to get to a competitive position and adjust it to
Walter's vision for the language, get him on board and then take
it to the D foundation.

> D is a community project after all. If we want it to thrive we
> must all contribute, even just a little.

You need to have a plan and fix the process before you try to fix
other things. If you don't have a plan and don't have a process
that backs up that plan then you just get to fix inconveniences
(which I am sure people who already has adopted the language
appreciate) but you don't get to position yourself in the market.

Asking people to do "something" or "more" without a realistic
plan and a process does not make much sense to me.