Does D have any political goals?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Nov 14 22:35:50 UTC 2022

On 11/14/2022 12:01 PM, Karmello wrote:
> [...]

Language - D has been moving forward pretty fast. For example, the dip1000
initiative has made great progress, and the ImportC initiative is a big step
forward in usability. D now has a prototype borrow checker - the same thing Rust
has. Memory safety is the future of D.

D hasn't moved as fast with concurrency, but Sebastiaan Koppe has pointed the
way with structured concurrency, which he's already implemented:

https://dconf.org/2022/#sebastiaank

I'd like to get his work into Phobos. I like it a lot better than async/await.

People talk about sumtypes and pattern matching, which are good features, but
not game changers.

People also talk a lot about not adding new features for D, as it already has
plenty :-)

IDE - I am not remotely opposed to IDEs. Rainer Schuetze has integrated D with
Visual Studio. I'm sure he would welcome help from anyone who wants to improve
it. I'm all for it. As to why I don't do that myself, I'm a poor person to do it
as IDEs (as you mentioned) are not my personal style.