Discussion: Porting 58000 lines of D and C++ to jai, Part 0: Why and How

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Wed Nov 23 17:35:11 UTC 2022

On 24/11/2022 6:20 AM, Kyle Ingraham wrote:
> I’m interested in reading your thoughts on the ‘Why not D’ section.
> Anyone have experiences that match the specific points there? I haven’t
> experienced them but I also don’t debug on Windows. I also find D’s
> documentation to be excellent.

I haven't experienced the exact set of issues listed, but yeah debugging
can be quite janky even when it works. If I can help it I will not start
up VS to debug, it messes with window order OS wide, not fun.

> I’m super-positive on D but also interested in whether there are others
> with the same issues as the article’s author.

I'm quite surprised that the issues surrounding shared libraries wasn't
mentioned. That's the big one I'm facing. Windows is basically a write
off for dmd and there isn't much support on the compiler dev side to fix
this.