D is our last hope

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 08:24:30 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 23 December 2023 at 06:18:16 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> To communicate a proposal to users, a specification is also
> needed. Telling users to read the code isn't going to work.

Well, as a user I often click through to the source when reading
Phobos and other D docs and rarely, if ever, do I read specs
unless tasked with verifying compliance or with creating a
de-novo implementation against an extant spec.  Fortunately, Adam
already has working code and examples while Attila is,
reportedly, hammering away on the spec.

I think this is a good way to do things.  An independent spec
writer may shine a spot on some unexpectedly dark corners, some
implementer "blind spots".

> A specification is needed to determine what the proposal is,
> and what it is not. It is also used to judge whether the
> implementation is correct or not.

Yes, but specs need to be "debugged" too, and directed testing
against a working body of code can be very helpful there...
probably much more helpful than a bunch of code-free language
lawyering.

At the very least a working implementation with examples should
let us skip past a lot of the "proof by assertion" noise
regarding difficulty of implementation and marginal utility.

Here's hoping for swift understanding and a useful addition to D.