Worse than impolite

Dibyendu Majumdar d.majumdar at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 19:13:27 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 24 December 2023 at 17:23:12 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I don't get people to do anything, they're all self-motivated.
>
> Though I do believe it is rare and remarkable that so many
> wonderful people have generously given so much of their time
> and expertise. I am most grateful for their gifts to D, the
> DLF, and the D community. I regard the D community as a
> community of my dear friends.

I think you are being too modest; people don't just contribute to
D because of self motivation; if this was generally true then
every language project would get contributors easily.

Its a mystery to me, but I think that there needs to be an
environment that encourages and creates that motivation, which
you have managed to do. Part of this may be the exact opposite of
what people claimed in the other thread; you have accepted
contributions from people when they made sense; it requires good
taste and great insight to see what contributions matter.