Future of D

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 30 14:30:25 UTC 2023

On Monday, 30 October 2023 at 14:19:58 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 October 2023 at 12:54:33 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> Can we count on that if we find an issue with D that it will
>> be taken care of? And if so, how, and by whom? That it will
>> not be silently ignored for years? How can we safeguard
>> against that?
>
> By trying to be a net-positive contributor to the D ecosystem
> and especially core team: libraries, but also mentoring, money,
> etc. You create the incentives to help your company.
> D is a communal effort, without supporting the community and
> "giving back" D wouldn't exist. It's really quite hard to do
> well.

Well. I took a quick look at phobos for example.

And it's been almost unchanged since 2019.

We discussed this on Discord trying to understand why.

Some name Andrei "leaving" is a reason, Wilzbach was also a
contributor who left. And Jack Stouffer.

Some mentioned that betterC got too much attention and someone
else said too heavy focus on nogc slowed things down in general.

I don't know which of these are correct, but it's a bit worrying.

Do you have an explaination to why the number of contributions to
phobos has decreased so much since about 2018-2019?