Making 2024 the Year of D

Doigt labog at outlook.com
Fri Jan 5 02:57:43 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 4 January 2024 at 07:47:01 UTC, Waffle56 wrote:
> Hello everyone, I wish you all a happy 2024 with my warmest
> regards.
>
> I am a software developer with a deep passion for the D
> programming language, actively using it in my projects. In my
> own software company, we prefer to use D to meet the needs of
> our clients. However, I have some concerns about the future of
> this language.
>
> What are your thoughts on the journey of the D language?
> Although it hasn’t gained widespread popularity since its
> launch, I see it as a hidden treasure waiting to be discovered.
> First and foremost, I would like to express my gratitude to
> everyone involved in developing this language, especially the
> core team. However, I believe we need to resolve the
> disagreements within our community and support this language
> more robustly.
>
> From forum discussions, I understand that the D language is
> undergoing a process of forking. Forking can be positive in
> some instances, but how beneficial can such divisions be for a
> programming language that already has a limited community?
> Let's please come together to develop this language and advance
> this wonderful project that has been shaped by years of hard
> work, finding common ground without hurting anyone.
>
> Let’s declare 2024 as the "Year of D". Spend this year
> spreading and using D more extensively. Together, let's take
> this project to the place it deserves. With your support, we
> have the opportunity to showcase the potential of the D
> language to the entire world.

Do keep in mind that the fork is just two people who have long
been angry and extreme in both how they express their anger at D
and how exaggerated their concerns are. Especially Grim, who has
managed more than once to find the weirdest of problems/usecases
nobody has but him. The community is still one and the same. It
will not follow them over there. They will burn themselves out
maintaining their fork alone and then they'll come back begging
or leave D entirely.