[dmd-beta] Time for a beta?

Daniel Murphy yebblies at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 08:29:18 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 3:10 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu <andrei at erdani.com> wrote:
> We started at 25 regressions, 18 blockers, 45 critical, and 158 major bugs
> out of 2751 open issues.
>
> Now we have 2541 issues, of which 29 regressions, 15 blockers, and 49
> criticals, and 147 majors.
>
> Great job on the bug scrubbing and picking the low-hanging fruit (210!) but
> unfortunately we haven't significantly reduced the age of the oldest bug,
> and we have a net increase of regressions and criticals. I'd say we should
> make significant progress on these three items before considering a beta.

With the exception of the regressions, I disagree.

More critical bugs reported does not mean a decrease in quality, just
that more people are using D.

Older bugs are usually still open for a reason.  Either they're
difficult to solve, or they aren't particularly important.

Either way, I doubt it's worth delaying the beta/release once the
regressions are fixed.  There are plenty of improvements that should
be available to everybody using D now.