[dmd-beta] Time for a beta?

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Sun Jan 29 09:19:06 PST 2012

On 1/29/12 10:29 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 3:10 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu<andrei at erdani.com>  wrote:
>> We started at 25 regressions, 18 blockers, 45 critical, and 158 major bugs
>> out of 2751 open issues.
>>
>> Now we have 2541 issues, of which 29 regressions, 15 blockers, and 49
>> criticals, and 147 majors.
>>
>> Great job on the bug scrubbing and picking the low-hanging fruit (210!) but
>> unfortunately we haven't significantly reduced the age of the oldest bug,
>> and we have a net increase of regressions and criticals. I'd say we should
>> make significant progress on these three items before considering a beta.
>>

> With the exception of the regressions, I disagree.
>
> More critical bugs reported does not mean a decrease in quality, just
> that more people are using D.

Well, it means we don't know until we measure or collect evidence. At
this point you are stating a hypothesis.

I just listed everything changed on or after 2011-12-14
(http://goo.gl/QYdpA) with critical/blocker/major and indeed the list is
pretty good with 51 items. (Unfortunately I don't know how to list only
items that were open before that date.) But having a net decrease or at
least some sort of dynamic equilibrium in high-importance bugs would
indicate we have control over such.

Andrei