[dmd-internals] Git on Windows

Daniel Murphy yebblies at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 22:44:36 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> While I appreciate the help, git always struck me as another one of those
> linux program with a sorry, lame port to windows. Git developers are all
> linux devs, not windows devs, and it shows. I've had enough of those, and
> Don has also tried to use git on Windows with lots of frustrating problems.

Git on windows does have a bunch of problems.  But none I have encountered
are worse than your solution.

For work on dmd, I use Windows XP + msysgit + Command Prompt exclusively.
 I make changes, I review them with git gui (which sucks, but lets me
stage/commit _all_ changed filed with a single click and warns me about
line ending and whitespace problems) and usually push via the command line.

Other projects I've worked on where people have used the scp + git combo,
with the same problems you're experiencing.  Doing anything between
checking it works and committing is just asking for missing changes and
broken commits.

No, git on windows, is not as good as git on linux.  But for most normal
tasks like committing, branching and pushing, it is _exactly_ the same.