[dmd-internals] DMD copyright assignment

H. S. Teoh via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 24 13:00:45 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:53:30PM -0700, Walter Bright via dmd-internals wrote:

> On 6/24/2014 11:46 AM, Steven Schveighoffer via dmd-internals wrote:
[...]
> >Giving away all rights to hundreds of hours of work done on free
> >time, or even at the core of someone's business may seem trivial to
> >you, I'm not sure everyone feels that way.
> >

> That's kind of in the nature of contributing to free software. It took
> me a while myself to come to terms with that. It's not to say that
> means no reward for doing it - one is the satisfaction of making a
> difference by contributing to something great, the other is the
> getting the credit for doing so. The credit has a lot of value to
> one's professional career, which is why I strongly encourage
> contributors to use their real names on github.
[...]

Credit has a lot of value for sure -- in my case, a recruiter contacted
me for an interview because he was impressed by my contributions on
github. (And I'm not even using my real name as my github handle! Though
I do have my real name attached to my profile.)

Three out of two people have difficulties with fractions. -- Dirk Eddelbuettel