[dmd-internals] Pulling D language enhancements

Jacob Carlborg via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 11 04:05:59 PDT 2014

On 11 okt 2014, at 07:11, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> I've authored several DIPs, too. That aside, pragmatically most DIPs will not be implemented. New proposals for improvements fill the n.g. every day. Having a DIP that fails is still far better than implementing a feature and having that fail.

Of course they're not implemented. Most DIP's are ignored.

> DIPs, at a minimum, help prevent people from reinventing the wheel, they can take an existing DIP and update it.
>
> D is a fairly complex language, and there's a lot to learn. Shouldn't we be conservative about adding more?

Absolutely. But I can't really agree on the features that do get added and the ones that don't.

Example: you don't think it's a good idea to support regular functions without braces, something that bearophile has suggested several times. I like that idea as well. But you thought it was a great idea to support eponymous templates without braces.

> I don't know how we can add features to an already complex language at a rapid pace and maintain coherence. I don't know any language that has succeeded at that.

Right, but it's all about choosing the correct features to add, that can later be used to build new library features on top. AST macros is a perfect example of this, but also one of the most complex features to add.

--
/Jacob Carlborg