[Greylist-users] Re: threads

Philip Kizer pckizer at nostrum.com
Sun Jul 27 18:38:16 PDT 2003

Alan Batie <alan at batie.org> wrote:
>> Well, it's taken longer this time, but last night, relaydelay maxed out
>> the threads on mysql again.  I killed relaydelay and then waited until
>> it was actually gone, then checked and sure enough, most of the threads
>> disappeared, and it's still sitting at 9 with relaydelay running again.

What OS, maximum connections, general message traffic patterns, etc are you
seeing?  Have you done the MaxDaemonChildren tuning that Evan recommended
to see if that made a difference?

martin dempsey <mjd at digitaleveryware.com> wrote:
>I don't want to start a flame war, but you might try exim + greylisting
>[ ... ]
>Exim handles heavy load pretty well and has config directives that allow you
>to set different behaviors (like queue mail only) when the load level exceeds
>a maximum.

Right, so far those things you mentioned above are configurable on almost
every decent MTA out there, Sendmail included.  Let's definitely leave off
the suggestions to change some basic piece of system software to sendmail,
postfix, exim, qmail, etc. as there really shouldn't be any need as long as
your software can support the protocols and has tuning options that address
your load behaviour.

-philip

--
Philip Kizer, Chief Systems Engineer, Texas A&M University
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix   <pckizer at tamu.edu>